EagleHerald/Josh Lacy
Brady McVane scored both of Marinette’s goals in a 4-2 loss to Green Bay West on Thursday.
EagleHerald/Josh Lacy

Brady McVane scored both of Marinette’s goals in a 4-2 loss to Green Bay West on Thursday.


MARINETTE — Marinette (2-3-2) surrendered three consecutive goals in the first half and could not recover as they fell 4-2 against Green Bay West (3-6-1) on Thursday.

Coach Frank Pohlmann was disappointed with the loss. “This was a very winnable game. We didn’t play great, but we still had more chances than they had. They scored three from long range and one off of a corner kick. We didn’t really bring on the field what we practiced.”

The game started well for the Marines who put each of their first three shots on target. Just over eight minutes into the game, Keegan Polomis hit Brady McVane on the left side of the box, and McVane gave the Marines a quick 1-0 lead.

Things went sideways just two minutes later. A George Tapin-Alcazar header tied the game off a corner kick from Sam Noll in the 10th minute, and Tapin-Alcazar cleaned up a rebounded shot to give the Wildcats the lead just 74 seconds later. GBW took a commanding 3-1 advantage with a goal from Cadil Huessein in the 34th minute.

The Marines recovered in the closing minutes of the first half. Noah Cegelski just missed a goal when his shot glanced off the right post in the 39th minute. Marinette dropped Cegelski back to aid the defense in the second half, and that adjustment paid off early as the Marines had the Wildcats on their heels.

In the 48th minute, McVane put the pressure on the Wildcats when he got Marinette within a goal. Jimmy Scully played a ball from midfield that put McVane in a one-vs-one situation with GBW goalkeeper Skylar Krouth, and the senior was able to finish his second goal of the game.

The momentum was short lived however. In the 67th minute, Huessein struck a booming shot from the top of the box that pushed the score to 4-2 and took the wind out of Marinette’s sails. “We had our chances,” Pohlmann said, “and we didn’t convert them into goals. If we could’ve had an equalizer, then you go ahead and win the game, but we never gained the momentum during the entire game.”

Krouth came up with a pair of big saves against shots from McVane and Cegelski in the 83rd minute; however, he needed only five saves in total to preserve the win. Marinette’s Ryan Dura made six saves while the Wildcats out shot the Marines 20-15.

Marinette will return to action on Saturday when they play in the Wrightstown tournament.