State police raided unlicensed pot dispensary

MENOMINEE — Michigan State Police raided what they said was an unlicensed marijuana dispensary Friday.

Detectives from the Eighth District Marijuana and Tobacco Investigation Section executed three search warrants simultaneously from an ongoing investigation involving an unlicensed marijuana dispensary in Menominee., according to a release from the Michigan State Police.

“Edible marijuana products, THC vape cartridges, significant marijuana wax products, large amounts of pre-rolled marijuana joints, (and a) sizeable amount of processed marijuana were seized with a current value of $271,000. Also seized were personal property valued at over $300,000 and $54,000 in cash.”

According to the release, detectives were assisted by UPSET, MSP Gladstone, Menominee Police Department, 8th District HST, 7th District MTIS, and members of the 8th District Emergency Support Team.

According to Gus Burns, the marijuana beat reporter for, no further information has yet been released by the State Police and no arrests have been made.

Armed suicidal man taken into custody

MARINETTE — The Sheriff’s Office was contacted about a man who made suicidal statements via text message to a friend Sunday evening at McClintock Park in the Town of Silver Cliff. Sheriff Jerry Sauve said deputies located the subject’s car parked at McClintock Park and found partial ammunition boxes in the vehicle.

He said deputies searched into the deep woods for the subject, who was on snowshoes. Sauve said they eventually backed off in order to get more help and more gear before continuing. The subject was found mid-morning Monday over two miles from where he had parked his car. The man, 52, Athelstane, eventually put down his guns and was taken into protective custody by officers and transported out of the woods by snowmobile.

The Marinette County Sheriff’s department was assisted by the sheriff’s departments of Florence and Oconto counties and Wisconsin DNR wardens, with Silver Cliff Rescue on standby. The matter remains under investigation, and nobody was injured in this incident.