The red brick building at the corner of Williams and Hannah streets on the west side of Marinette represents a lot of Marinette history stretching back almost 100 years. Since its construction in 1930, the Duer Gym served as a recreational facility, first as the Marinette County Normal School gymnasium and later, beginning in the 1960s, as the Duer Gym. The building’s namesake memorialized Richard N. Duer, a lieutenant killed in action while serving as a bombardier aboard a B-24 bomber during World War II.