100 YEARS AGO: The reported sale of the property at the foot of Main Street, Menominee, frequently referred to as Light House point has caused much worry among the fishermen of Marinette and Menominee. A report has been in circulation among fishermen that this property had been sold to parties who intend to build a new factory there. If this property is sold and the site used for a factory it will mean the removal of the Dormer Fish company, the Beutel and Ranney Fish companies who have been operating here for many years back. This will place the entire riverfront of both cities in the hands of private owners as well as take away one of the best harbors on Lake Michigan. 

50 YEARS AGO: A staggering report on the cost of immediate needs for the improvement of waste water treatment plant at Menominee was given to the City Council Monday night by City Clerk Bernard W. Delgoffe. Delgoffee reported the findings of McNamee, Porter and Seely, consulting engineers of Ann Arbor, Mich., regarding the conditions and needs at the city’s waste water treatment plant. Recommended plant improvements are estimated to cost $2,780,00 of which, 55 percent is eligible for federal and state grants. This leaves 45 percent or $1,251,000 to be raised locally, it was pointed out. 

25 YEARS AGO: Twelve Marinette High School students are going back to the basics and getting a taste of what being a teacher is all about. They are spending about one hour per day helping our Marinette elementary school teachers in the classroom in the hopes of becoming teachers themselves some day. Not only does it prepare high school students for the real world, but it gives young, at-risk children the extra help they need to succeed. Although there have been high school students assisting at Marinette’s elementary schools in the past, this is the first year that is has been organized on a large scale. 

FIVE YEARS AGO: The unofficial list of candidates for positions in the City of Marinette have turned their nomination papers in for the spring election. Four people filed for the position of mayor. They include incumbent Alderwoman Martha Karban, Steve Genisot, Stephen Paul and Kym Soderberg. Incumbent Mayor Denise Ruleau is not seeking re-election. “I’m not running for re-election because I want to retire,” Ruleau said. “I have been working since I was 12.” There are no contested aldermanic races. Two incumbents, Dorothy Kowalski, Ward 2 alderwoman, and Dennis Colburn, Ward 6 alderman, are running unopposed.